New kernel problems

John covici covici at ccs.covici.com
Sun Oct 19 22:03:12 EDT 2008

OK, I guess you have not updated gentoo for a long time, either.  I
had the same portage problem as you, but solved it by emerging it with
--nodeps  and then bash was able to be emerged by hand, then I re
emerged portage in case there were any dependencies and then I
continued with my --update --deep --with-bdeps=y which you should
certainly do at this point.  The newest portage (if you are running
unstable) automagically takes care of some of these blocks.

Hope this helps.

on Sunday 10/19/2008 Jayson Smith(jaybird at bluegrasspals.com) wrote
 > Okay... This has gone from a simple kernel upgrade to a ridiculous fiasco,
 > all to get a new kernel running! This really belongs on the Gentoo list, but
 > I'm just frustrated and need answers.
 >
 > Okay, so it seems I didn't have module-init-tools installed.
 > Module-init-tools requires, among other things, coreutils. Coreutils comes
 > down in a format which Portage doesn't recognize. Upgrade Portage, right?
 > Well, not quite that easy. It seems my current Portage is blocking a newer
 > version of Bash which the new Portage wants. So, I'm at a standstill, where
 > I can't upgrade Portage because of a block with my current Portage, which I
 > won't even be using any more by the time the blocked package will be
 > installed! Sheesh! Help!

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici