connecting via ssh

Bruce Noblick brunobrook at columbus.rr.com
Sat Oct 18 22:50:45 EDT 2008

This may be a very basic question but I haven't figured out how to get ssh to connect with my linux box.

I tried to get my ip address but the information I got seemed to be only valid for the local machine.  I have a router to which all of my computers are connected so I thought my addresses should be on a 192.168.1 subnetwork but the only addresses I saw were on a 127.0 subnetwork.

I used to know how to get this information for my windows box but I have recycled a large number of brain cells since then and don't even remember how to do that right now.  Would I be able to just use a hostname? As a footnote, I have given hostnames of trashcan, paperweight and boatanchor to my computers.  So what I am trying to do is connect my paperweight to my trashcan, grin.

As mentioned in the discussions earlier, I found a teraterm program and thought I was telling it the right stuff but the closest I got was a "connection refused" message from one address.  All other guesses timed out.

Thanks much.

Bruce Noblick