Boot Parameters with Debian

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Sat Oct 18 18:21:10 EDT 2008

Hi Steve,

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 03:03:28PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:

> Hey, that is really informative.  I see where that got added to
> /etc/modules.  I commented that line out which originally loaded
> speakup_spkout module.  Now when I boot, I could manually load
> speakup_soft and follow immediately with espeakup to get things
> going.  But once I do that, I still cannot use talkwith script to switch
> synths on the fly.  For whatever reason, echoing the new synth name
> won't stick in the parameter variable, nor will it load the respective
> module.  The talkwith script echos none to the synth variable and that
> takes effect and speakup stops bu the only synth that I can echo back
> in and successfully launch is the same one that I previously
> unloaded.  It's like the modules aren't unloading or something.

You should not want your modules to unload. On my system, I load two
speakup modules in /etc/modules, speakup_ltlk and speakup_soft, using
the parameter "start=0". The talkwith script switches between the ltlk
and the espeakup/espeak systems fine, no unloading or reloading of
modules.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (78% of Full)

My web site: http://hallenbeck.ftml.net -- my telephone: 1-518-334-9022.
                                --------
Sarah Palin: At last, a Beauty Queen who doesn't want World Peace.