Boot Parameters with Debian

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Oct 18 06:12:45 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm deleting your long post.  I very much doubt that your boot problem
is related to your initrd, but you could look at
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules.  Instead, what's in your /etc/modules?
You should see something like speakup_ltlk and a line that it's added by
the Debian installer.  What I would do is delete the speakup line from
/etc/modules, move it to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, rebuild your
initrd and reboot.  To rebuild your initrd, do:

update-initramfs -u

That should automatically rerun lilo as well.  The advantage is that you
get speech a lot earlier in the boot process.  The disadvantage is that
it makes no difference with software speech anyway.  Note that doing it
this way means you don't pass parms on the speakup module command line
such as your synth name because the speakup_ltlk module pulls in speakup
as a dependency.  I personally don't use software speech so I can't
comment on if you load multiple synth modules, such as one for software
and one for hardware.  I generally only use hardware speech because
software speech eats so much memory and sounds bad to my ear by comparison.