Compiling Under Debian

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Oct 18 05:52:55 EDT 2008

I know this isn't the "recommended" solution, but I just do:

aptitude -q install build-essential

That pulls in necessary dependencies. That's also necessary if you wish
to compile your own Speakup modules, which it sounds like you might want
to do since you keep running into bugs. I was using the standard 3.0.3
20080724 which comes with Lenny and ran into problems adjusting
parameters, so I compiled my own from source with much better results.
If you're going to compile any kernel modules, you should also install
the module-assistant package.