DecTalk Interrupting Sound?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Thu Oct 16 00:47:35 EDT 2008

Quite hard to explain well in a subject-line, but when I am playing any audio
in my sound-card useing alsa, if I do any reading, even such as typing a time
command, the sound breaks up.  I am writing here as I sure don't know the
cause?  The Dec-Talk is a U S B unit--and should have nothing to do with my
sound-card.
First I orriginally thought it was a bandwidth issue, where I would read on
shellworld while listening to streams, but then I went to a console not
online--and proved that it has more to do with either the Dec-Talk.  Could
their be something similar to IRQ settings in DOS, where there would be a
conflict?  I suppose the other interesting thing to try would be running
another combination with ORCA, so we would iliminate speakup as a facture.
I also at times am also ripping streams while listening in another console, but
I have not tested to see if the ripped item brokeup.
I certainly want to rip lots of Election coverage--and want to keep up with my
mail.  Lately I just leave the keyboard alone while ripping anything I am also
playing through the sound-card.
I think this is an mp3blaster
Thanks so much in advance for any solutions
Hart