New Debian Install - HELP - with usb drive

Terry D. Cudney terry.cudney at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 16:33:01 EDT 2008

HI all,

	Thanks to The D-I team and Samuel's pointers, we now have a speakup-enabled boot/install solution for lenny from CD... <smile>

	I'm trying to do the same with a usb flash-drive instead of burning new cd's for each image. So far, I am not able to get the installer to talk... The installer is booting (my sighted son confirmed this when he was here). The installer does not display the introductory menu, but rather goes right into the installation, prompting for choice of language, country and keyboard, etc, on the screen, but no speech. With the mini-iso, at least, there are no help screens with F8, etc.

	At what point, or how can we give the 'speakup.synth=' parameter?

	I have tried, so far, with the syslinux boot method on the usb drive:

	 /~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/cdrom/gtk/[initrd.gz and vmlinuz]
 with 1) mini.iso and with the 2) debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso image of today, October 10/08.

	These are the files on the usb drive:
mini.iso  initrd.gz  ldlinux.sys  syslinux.cfg  vmlinuz

	I even tried to put an 'append speakup.synth=ltlk' in the syslinux.cfg file. To no avail.

	Is it possible to get a speakup-enabled install using a usb drive? If so, how?

	TIA,

	--terry

--
Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	705-812-4949
SIP: 8978 at ekiga.net
E-mail:	terry at octothorp.org

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like...
having a peeing sectionin a swimming pool.

--
Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	705-812-4949
SIP: 8978 at ekiga.net