New Debian Install - HELP!

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Oct 11 15:32:08 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 03:55:44AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:
> The solution is to
> not chroot.  Instead, mount your boot partition under /boot or /mnt/boot
> and change your lilo.conf as needed temporarily.  Run something like:
>
> lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf
>
> That should hopefully work, or at least give a useful error message.

After you've got your lilo.conf setup the way you want, don't forget
to do
lilo -r /mnt
to reinstall lilo.

> If you use
> something like the System Rescue CD which lets you boot into an already
> installed Linux, you should be able to say root=/dev/hda2 on the boot
> command line and fix lilo that way, bypassing the bootloader.

Actually, sysresccd configures ide drives to show up as scsi. So, what
you want is something like root=/dev/sda2 instead. Note that unless
debian is configuring ide drives to show up as scsi drives, you won't
be able to install lilo using sysresccd, since your lilo.conf will
refer to /dev/hdx devices, which will actually exist as /dev/sdx under
sysresccd. If you change your lilo.conf to refer to /dev/sdx, and
install it under sysresccd, then you won't be able to boot, because
those devices will be /dev/hdx in debian. I know this for a fact from
personal experience. Unfortunately, as far as I know, sysresccd
supplies the ide-pata modules only, so you can't just rmmod the
ide-pata module, and load the standard ide one for your chipset. If
enough people complain about this on the forums, I think Francois
might include the standard ide modules as well.

> Assuming
> you have a working CD burner and can burn CD images, you could try
> downloading the System Rescue CD and burn that.

Since we're on the topic of sysresccd, I think I've found the bug that
caused speech delay for dectalk users shortly after entering runlevel
3, and have put in a temporary fix, to see if the problem is in fact
what I think it is. If dectalk users who have seen the problem I'm
talking about want to grab the new iso to test with, and let me know
if the problem is in fact gone, you can grab it from:

http://www.romuald.net.eu.org/systemrescuecd-x86-1.1.1-beta5-speakup.iso

If a dectalk user can confirm that this iso doesn't in fact exhibit
that problem anymore, I can discuss with Francois a permanent fix, in
such a way that it won't effect the average non-speakup sysresccd user.

> The kernel on the CD uses /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda, so
> change hda to sda in lilo.conf.  Good luck!

See what I said above on this.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org