installing ubuntu with what may be missing pieces

tony seth lp800 at samobile.net
Tue Oct 7 06:59:56 EDT 2008

Okay, so the install worked... that's good... I've also had the same
problem with 8.4 as well as earlier versions with accessing some of the
administrative tools on the system menu.  As for shell commands, that I
can help ya there.  To run a command do the key combo of alt-f2 which
will be pretty self explanitory.  Type in gnome-terminal don't miss out
the dash, and you'll hear ubuntu at ubuntu.  There's your command
promt, and with speech too.  As for getting speech from the text
console, I mean the real one, you'll have to get a kernel package from
someone who's compiled a custom kernel, or roll your own containing
speakup, because the removed it from this version.  Hth... must get
back to work now...
Cheereo!