installing ubuntu with what may be missing pieces

Bruce Noblick brunobrook at columbus.rr.com
Tue Oct 7 06:31:16 EDT 2008

Hello all,

This is a rather long note.  I am answering the questions that Luke and Tony
asked and restating my situation in obnoxious detail.

I have successfully installed both CD's, first, the alternate, then the live
CD on a desktop computer.

I used the same steps to download both images.  I started at the ubuntu web
site, www.ubuntu.com, found a location to download from, downloaded the .iso
images, created the CD's under windows xp using cdrwin to write an iso image
to CD.

The alternate worked properly but my wife had to read everything.  The
alternate CD gave me an option to install a text only version.  That worked
but with no speech.  I could type any commands and run any scripts.

Then I tried the live CD using the first option at the boot prompt to run it
before I installed it.  This worked.

Then I decided to install it using the second option at the boot prompt.  I
used the exact procedure that Tony described.  Orca worked well enough for
me but it did not give me access to some of the more exotic things on the
system menu.  I could enter the required password and then nothing would
happen.

I also did not see a way to get to a shell to type my own commands.  I also
have a dectalk express connected to the only com port this computer has.
Would it be possible to get orca to use it? In reading between the lines, do
I infer correctly that for now, I will not be able to have speech, even if I
do manage to get to a place where I can type commands?  Would it be enough
to find a way to install another kernel with speakup already installed in
it? If so, how would one do that?