running dedicated servers

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Mon Nov 17 22:44:42 EST 2008

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Tyler Littlefield wrote:

> I've started thinking seriously about getting things going in order to rake in
> a bit of a proffit.

Good for you!  caveats apply (see below), but I for one like the spirit.

> I am lacking in some linux expertees, but I would be really greatful if some
> pointers could be tossed my way.

Here's one: learn more about networking (the computer side--the way that
ports and IPS and DNS work).  Your questions below suggest that you could
stand to increase in knowledge on that subject, before you undertake this.
Especially with respect to DNS.
You might want to outsource DNS.

> I want to set this up as a dedicated server. I'll switch to a real one
> eventually, but that's a ways off, and a few checks in my pocket.

As long as your ISP doesn't care about you running a business; as long as
your customers don't mind that you probably have an asynchronous connection
(which will definitely effect them) (assuming that you're on ADSL or cable
or the like, and not on a T1 or similar); and assuming that your ISP isn't
blocking any ports you need open.

> I need to be able to do the following (and probably more)
> Offer support for managing domains. Not management totally, but if x points
> their domain at my system, I need to know it's different from y and serve it
> differently. I'm not totally sure how that's done.

Look into the bind package for DNS; and look into apache virtual hosts.
If you're doing mail as well, look into your MTA's virtual domain
configuration (in postfix this is called virtual mailbox domain).  You'll
probably want an FTP server which supports virtual hosts to some extent: I
would suggest ProFTPD, because of its similarity to apache in that regard.

> My main example would be for websites, and ports. I expect that port a would
> be the same as port b for both domains, but I'm not totally sure on that one.

You expect right.  It would be the same for the same IP address, which
means that from the prospective of mail clients and such, it is the same.
However in the case of web services, apache virtual hosting will make it
at least appear that the same port on different domains, goes to different
places.

> My idea there is to just obtain a static IP, and open ports for a user as
> needed, or as allotted.

For what service are you talking about?

> Second, I need to be able to track bandwidth, and securely send and receive
> email.

Two radically different things if ever there were any.:)

For the first, something like Awstats might be good, although it probably
won't track for anything other than web sites.  You'll need a network
interface monitoring program to do more than that.

For the second - secure mail - see the note about certificates below.
You might consider outsourcing mail.

> I know ssl won't be an option until down the road (and I can get a signed
> cert), but I need to be able to handle this well and without problems.

Certs are cheap, especially if you get them through godaddy.

Luke