more stuff about installing from memory stick

Terry D. Cudney terry.cudney at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 19:44:40 EST 2008

Hi Randy, Samuel et al,

	I wasn't able to do much  with this until today. I have been able to do an install using my usb stick, basically following >exactly< the instructions in the D-I documentation.

	I have a 4 GB stick, so I decided to partition it. Partition #1 is fat32, partition #2 is ext2. Make sure to make the fat32 partition bootable while in fdisk (linux' fdisk, I don't know about windows fdisk... doubt it will work). Use the mtools utility (or your windows machine) to format the fat32 partition.

	Mount the fat32 partition. Copy linux and initrd.gz from the "other images (netboot, USB stick, etc)" (I suspect this may be your problem, as the other initrd images are set up to mount the .iso from CD, HD or whatever. This initrd.gz is for mounting the .iso from the usb stick.) (If I am misunderstanding this, please feel free to set me straight, Samuel or anyone).

	Copy the .iso you want to use to the fat32 partition. (I used the net-inst image for my amd64)

	Create your  syslinux.cfg file on the fat32 partition. Mine looks like:
	default linux
	append initrd=initrd.gz speakup.synth=ltlk

	do "syslinux /dev/usb-stick" after you unmount the stick.

	That should do it... Boot from the stick and it should come up talking in the installer, no G-I menu, straight into the installer.

	I don't know about filing bug reports, etc, but after the installation completed (apparently successfully), when I do the initial boot, the system does not talk. My son looked at the screen, there is an error from grub2 and the system refuses to boot. I'll have to get grml going and see what needs fixing in the grub config, I guess.

	HTH,

	--terry