progress on booting debian installer from USB stick

Kitty Litter n8kl at insightbb.com
Thu Nov 13 20:24:14 EST 2008

1. format stick with mkdosfs -I /dev/sdf

2. install syslinux syslinux /dev/sdf

3. Mount the memory stick.

4. Mount latest install image with mount image.iso /mnt -o loop

5. copy vmlinuz to the stick from /mnt/install.amd

6 copy initrd.gz to the stick from /mnt/install.amd/gtk

7. Create syslinux.cfg on the stick containing lines such as:
serial 0
default vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz speakup.synth=audptr

8. copy image.iso to the stick, all files to the root directory.

9. copy the module loop.ko to the stick which might be difficult unless you
happen to have it from a previous install. The loop module is not in initrd,
maybe it could be included?

10. Boot from the stick and if all goes well the installer will talk.

11. Go to shell with alt-f2 enter. Mount the stick and copy loop.ko to
/lib/modules/kernel_version/drivers/block and do depmod.

12. Mount the image.iso to /cdrom and go back to installer with alt-f1.

I didn't actually complete the install, I got to the partitioner which I
could not back out of and did a halt from the shell. If I'm still alive
tomorrow will try making another initrd with alsa and a few more modules.