backup apparently not working

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Nov 7 20:11:32 EST 2008

Exactly what I said.
Just because you execute a script from crontab does not mean it has all
environment variables set inside the script.

Your script is relying on the fact that the HOME environment variable is
set, which i'm sure it is when you run the script from the command-line,
however it might not be the case when the script is run from cron.

What user is running the crontab and what value do you expect HOME to be?
Also is the script running under /bin/bash and is the backquote expantion
actually working?
Modify your crontab so it echos your command into a temporary file so the
command that is executed is what you think it is.
Regards, Kerry.