SB Live and Amixer in Fedora

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Wed May 28 16:31:45 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 04:48:59AM -0400, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> There seem to be many different cards that go by that name, not all use
> the same strategy. I had one with a similar jack arrangement, and used
> the leftmost of your unknowns as line out, although amixer calls it
> rear, I think. The other unknown, your rightmost jack, is a mixed-use
> jack which I never understood. One of its modes is "digital out"
> whatever that is, and documentation is very hard to find.
[End-Quote]

	Digital out would be CD quality output, similar to the CD player
of a stereo system and is generally unamplified.  You get the same grade
of output from the old phonograph  units in older stereo systems.  Rear,
of course, is quadraphonic, or Surround-Sound., which is rarely
supported, except in high-end multimedia, home theater setups.  Rear
speakers may or may not be used, or may just mirror the front speaker
signal, depending on how the actual audio recording or configuration is
set up (meaning if there is no rear speaker signal in the recording, the
config may or may not mirror the rear speakers along with the front
speaker signal).  Then you would have a stereo "left-right" and a mono
"front-back" arrangement, if you get what I mean.  Anyway, the SB Live
supports four speakers.  HTH,

			Michael