Speakup not talking on grml 1.1 softsynth

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed May 28 12:19:15 EDT 2008

Michael Prokop wrote:
> * Tony Baechler <tony at baechler.net> wrote:
>

>> The 1.1rc1 that I used has a relatively old version from cvs and I
>> honestly can no longer recommend grml.
>>

> Your "I honestly can no longer recommend grml" is a slap into my face.

Hi,

My no longer recommending grml has nothing to do with Speakup support.
Actually what attracted me to grml was just that.  I really like Debian
but I don't like no official support for Speakup in the kernel or
installer.  My reason for not recommending grml is that it installs
literally hundreds of packages that I didn't need and aren't necessary.
The problem was that by the time I got to a login prompt, I was
practically out of memory.  I couldn't do much because the computer
would lock up.  Once I removed the many unnecessary daemons and got my
system as close to a vanilla Debian system as possible, my problems went
away.  Unfortunately that meant removing every trace of grml and all the
custom packages.

While I'm here, I'll try to anticipate your response.  You're probably
going to say that you can deselect groups of packages in the grml2hd
installer.  that might be true, but said installer doesn't work well
with Speakup at least as of 1.1rc1.  I know of another person who had
the same trouble.  Both him and I needed sighted help to do the actual
installation.  Basically the problem is that the arrows don't tell me
what the cursor is actually on, even when highlight tracking is on in
Speakup.  I'll hear, for example, that I'm installing to hda1 when in
fact the cursor is on hda2.  I wouldn't have known this without sighted
help.  By the time I got to the package selection, I was frustrated and
just wanted to get something working.

I have two other small complaints.  One is that I don't see why Speakup
can't be included in the small or medium versions.  I don't want or need
RAID, USB, LVM, SCSI, etc support.  I don't need software running as
daemons which will try to crack other network sites.  I don't need
Apache, Postfix, or an ftp server.  I would rather install grml-small or
grml-medium and install the other packages that I want from Debian.  I
can see why you wouldn't include Speakup in grml-small since the point
is to be as small as possible, but I don't see why you couldn't include
it in grml-medium.

With all of that said, I'm sorry that you feel insulted.  I didn't know
you are reading this list or I would have elaborated at the time.  I
obviously haven't used the final 1.1 release so hopefully some of these
things have been addressed already.  I can say that there are some
things about grml that I really like a lot.  One is the concentration on
text tools.  In fact, I ended up giving up on installing X and Gnome
because it wouldn't work no matter what, especially with the grml-x
script.  There are enough console tools included that I haven't really
needed X and I figured I would wait until I have a machine with more
memory.  For a live CD, it is very complete and replaces the old rescue
floppies of the past.  Again, the big attraction to me is that I could
have speech at boot with Speakup.  Until the package and installer
issues are fixed, I can't recommend it though.  One thing that would be
helpful is to list the memory requirements somewhere online or during
the installation.  I wouldn't have installed it if I would have realized
the memory issues.  Finally, I realize that there is little you can do
about it, but your download server is very slow.  Perhaps there are
mirroring services out there which would be better.