Speakup not talking on grml 1.1 softsynth

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed May 28 06:05:52 EDT 2008

Hi,

I also installed grml 1.1rc1 on my hard disk. I had no problem with
software speech either from the CD or the hard disk. I suppose there
could be a bug but putting swspeak on your kernel command line in your
boot loader and running the swspeak command after login should work.
Perhaps the final 1.1 upgraded Speakup to a more current version from
git in which case you would have to do some tinkering. Have you done
this command?

echo sftsyn >/proc/speakup/synth_name

The 1.1rc1 that I used has a relatively old version from cvs and I
honestly can no longer recommend grml. You could try my custom Debian
kernel with Speakup built-in but I don't know if it works with software
speech on grml or not as I only use hardware here. If the above doesn't
help, it's probably a bug.