Getting speakup talking on the Ssystem Rescue CD

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat May 17 14:05:04 EDT 2008

The new versions of sysresccd don't include speakup, since all the
speakup-related issues came up as of 2.6.22.x. I stopped maintaining
the sysresccd kernel, since the time Francois was able to include the
speakup-patched gentoo kernels. I would go back to maintaining it,
except for the fact that I'm not running a gentoo system here, and
don't really want to install one, just so I could build kernels for
sysresccd and/or the iso itself.

I've been hearing enough complaints about getting speakup working in
the newer versions, on and off this list privately, that I'll have to
find the time soon to contribute relevant info myself, or bring this
up to Francois' attention. Adam is right, go back to an older version
for now. The last version that should work is sysresccd 0.3.7. If
you're unable to download that for some reason, let me know, and I can
get the iso to you. Also, the problem of speakup not shutting-up Adam
describes stems from the fact that speakup is in the kernel, but the
keyboard support doesn't get loaded until later on, because it's built
as modules. To get around that, include "speakup_quiet=1" as a
parameter to the kernel when booting. Hth.

Greg