Fedora Documentation

Daniel C dlchavez at bellsouth.net
Fri May 16 18:25:23 EDT 2008

The entire document I find outdated. And while I found that number for phone
support, I cannot call that number as I have no long distance and no money
to get a phone card, so that's why I skipped that part.
In order for me to minimize my already 10 hour or so downtime of my server,
I've reinstalled FC7 for now until I can get some help that isn't phone
related. Not to say that if I did have long distance that I wouldn't call,
but because I have none, that's not an option.
I already have customers e-mailing like mad about the downtime. I thought
that I could just pop in the DVD and tell it to upgrade, and just maybe, be
left with maybe configuring a few services here and there, but it turns out
that what I've run into is an unaccessible Fedora without Speakup at the
boot stage.
Does anyone else have the same trouble as me about not having Speakup come
up after a reboot?
To make things easier, here is what I did, to be sure I am, "following
instructions":

Install Process

1. I inserted the DVD and booted the system.
2. After the DVD stopped, I hit down arrow once, followed by tab once then
space once.
3. After doing tab once then pressing space once, I wrote speakup.synth=bns
and hit enter.
My Braille 'N Speak 2000 was found and speakup began talking.
4. It asked about a language and keyboard, etc. I went through all of the
install options I needed and chose a root password.
At the last stage, after package installation and the congradulations
screen, I pressed alt+f2 and back-spaced and realized I was In a console
because I back-spaced once and the machine made a beeping sound once.
Next, I typed cd /mnt/sysimage and hit enter.
Next, I typed chroot put a space and put a period then hit enter.
Finally, I typed slash sbin slash chkconfig firstboot off then pressed
enter.
Lastly, I hit CTRL+d, then alt+delete and the machine rebooted.
Somehow I was able to login to a console without doing anything, but then
during the boot process speakup never loaded.
Where did I go wrong in the above information?
I'll attempt a reupgrade, only if I have information that will actually work
properly in FC9. Otherwise, I've spent from 6:00 A.M. til 6:00 P.M.
installing an OS that just won't work for me.
Thanks.

Checked by AVG.
7:42 AM