Problem with Fedora9 and Speakup

Daniel C dlchavez at bellsouth.net
Fri May 16 11:08:09 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I installed fedora 9, but when I reboot, after disabling firstboot, speakup
doesn't come up at all.
I am able to get into a console and tried typing the follwoing 2 commands
both with the same results:

echo bns >/proc/speakup/synth_name
echo bns >/proc/speakup/synth.name
Both things say that >/proc/speakup/synth_name and >/proc/speakup/synth.name
 Don't exist.
What happened to updated documentation Janina?
And why isn't speakup speeking? There was nowhere to specify the speakup
synth except when the DVD was at the install prompt. Now I'll have to
reinstall Fedora 7, with customers I host having to wait a fulll 24 hours
all because of old documentation for Fedora7 and not 9.
I'd like some type of explanation as to why bash can't find
proc/speakup/synth_name and proc/speakup/synth.name.
Thanks for any help you may be able to provide, if any.

Checked by AVG.
7:42 AM