Do Speakup and Orca play together nicely now?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu May 15 13:29:24 EDT 2008

Hi, Darragh:

Speakup is doing much better these days vis a vis Orca. It will get out
of the way on its own in your gui console.

The issues of sharing tts between the two are a somewhat different
story. I believe it's only currently possible to do that with
speech-dispatcher and speechd_up. I have no direct knowledge of how well
that might work.

My current solution is TTSynth with its speakup-connector for Speakup,
and Espeak with gnome-speech for Orca. That is working well over a
single audio device, and I'm also able to play most sounds via that same
device--but there's a rub there, so read on.

1.)	In order to allow my ordinary user access to audio devices while
running TTSynth, I loginto one console and start a longish aplay. The
important thing is that my ordinary user own the audio device--therefore
the long aplay--while the connector is start. Hokey, bit it workss. The
real solution is buried somewhere in pam.d, we think.

If I do the above, I continue able to play audio via the default alsa
device. Audio on the gui is a bit different. Some system sounds, such as
the new gdm-2.22 playing of /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav invariably
come over one of my other devices. I suspect if those devices were not
present, I simply wouldn't hear the gdm play output. Similarly, my Gnome
system sounds are coming from a nondefault device. But, espeak over
gnome-speech-espeak is on the default device, as is ttsynth in the
console.

Note also that issues around pulseaudio remain unresolved. Our advice,
on the Speakup Modified Home Page, stands for now. Dump pluseaudio until
we learn how to get more control, and especially how to have audio in
console only sessions.

hth

Janina