synthasizers

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Wed May 14 22:46:29 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 07:28:18AM -0700, David Hoff Jr wrote:
> I am new to Linux & Speakup.  I'm confused about synthasizers.  I do not
> have an external synthasizer but I have purchased and installed Speakup
> Modified Fedora 7 i386, but without specifying a speach synthasizer.

	Hi David,

	The latest kernel/SpeakUP releases support software synthesizers
with the appropriate services installed, but you won't get the full
benefits of SpeakUP and a hardware synthesizer.  SpeakUP is essentially
designed to begin speaking as soon as the kernel is loaded, giving full
startup to shutdown access to what is going on.  Software synthesizers
need to be loaded later in the boot process, and if something happens
prior to speech startup, you're essentially S.O.L., unless you can
telnet or ssh into your system remotely.  Examine the docs on the
installation CD for instructions on booting SpeakUP with a software
synthesizer.  You seem to have an earlier release, and I'm not sure
software synthesis with SpeakUP is supported.  Check in at"

	http://speakupmodified.org/

	I'm really surprised you haven't received an answer on this yet
from the Fedora folks  I'm running Debian, myself, and know little about
Fedora.  HTH,

			Michael