Ubuntu Fedora partition identifiers UUID problems

Frank Carmickle frank at carmickle.com
Wed May 14 06:08:48 EDT 2008

Hi Gina

Yeah it is a bit puzzling even using different versions of debian on one disk but having two in the machine.  What I've found is use the /dev/disk/by-id links that are created by udev.  It's perfect.  We should just have used a system like this from the start.  Even if you unplug a disk and plug it in somewhere else you at least know that you have to go change it to be the new boot drive in the bios.  Maybe some day we will have linux bios on are machines and then booting won't be such a hassle any more.  Meanwhile we have to put up with grub.  My experiences with grub2 have not been positive so far.

--Frank