Gentoo - where's speakup been put?

Georgina Joyce gena at mga.demon.co.uk
Wed May 7 09:47:16 EDT 2008

> Actually, you have it reversed.  You will need to re-emerge speakup
> after you upgrade your kernel, not the other way around.  The patches
> are part of gentoo-sources, whether or not you install speakup.

Sorry, I'm confused here.  I emerged gentoo-sources which gave me the
kernel source then I created my /etc/portage directory and the required
package.keywords file.  Then emerged speakup.  So you are saying that
the sources are ready for further configuration according to hardware
and compilation and I can proceed with the install?

I'll set up the chroot env again and run menuconfig and I'll
immmediately be able to see if speakup is there.

As I've used git and fresh kernel sources previously.  I expected to see
a directory called speakup ready for me to run the installer manually.

Thanks.

Gena