Dectalk express with speakup as modules?

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Mon May 5 18:34:24 EDT 2008

I have found that as of yesterday, the Dectalk Express driver is
completely broken.  I installed Slackware 12.1, and tried compiling a
custom kernel.  When I booted with this kernel, the Dectalk USB I have set
to serial mode was found, but speech was unusable.  An occasional letter
or word would be spat out randomly, and the computer slowed to a crawl.
When I hit print screen to kill Speakup, I heard "you."  About 30 seconds
later, I heard "killed."  It took another 30 seconds before I heard
"Speakup."  So, I reverted back to the stock speakup.s, and patched in the
older release of Speakup that it came with.  This was dated 4/16/08.  This
version works, and finally fixes the long-standing bug where words with
apostrophes were pronounced as if the apostrophe was a space.  However,
the speakupconf script doesn't work with this version, and it is
impossible to modify the characters file which lists pronunciations of
characters.  Still, it's a lot better than nothing, and at least the rate
and pitch can be changed by writing to those virtual files.  Since there
is so much development going on, I think I'll stick with this version for
awhile.