kernel 2.6.24.5 and Sata

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Mon May 5 12:25:14 EDT 2008

Hi,
Just updated one of my machines to slackware 12.1 (linux 2.6.24.5).
While going through the install I noticed disk performance was pretty
bad...I had a similar problem running linux 2.4 on this machine and
thought it had something to do with IDE emulation on the Sata controler.
When I upgraded to 2.6 at the time (2.6.17.13 I believe) using libata
performance drasticly improved.  Now that I installed slack 12.1 with
2.6.24.5 performance is down again.  I also noticed that the sata disk
is seen as hda instead of sda  and looking at boot messages it's seen as
an IDE disk on an IDE bus, so I think the slowness is due to this
emulation issue I had in 2.4.  Looking at the kernel configuration, it
seems that libata is no longer built by slackware and is deprecated in
the kernel.  The sata controler is an  Intel generic onboard controler
(I forget the exact model atm, but I know it was supported by libata.
Does anyone have any idea what I should do to try and improve
performance? Is there any reason I shouldn't recompile the kernel with
libata (other then it being deprecated)?
Thanks for any help.

--
"Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?"
Microsoft spel chekar vor sail, worgs grate !!
	-- Felix von Leitner, leitner at inf.fu-berlin.de