Speech-dispatcher now working, sort of

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Fri May 2 09:19:49 EDT 2008

Hi,
    Thanks to the suggestion posted on here, I managed to find the problem
and fix it.  It was a small typo in a configuration file which I didn't know
about.
    Now, Speech-dispatcher works, more or less.  The problem is with Espeak.
The speech is rather choppy, for lack of a better word, at least when I try
to use it with the speakup_soft module.
    It seems as if the first few microseconds of short phrases are being cut
off, making them impossible to hear.  Longer phrases are understandable
after a few seconds, but they, too, initially are cut off.  I'm not really
sure how else to describe it.
    I have heard on other lists I'm on about problems related to Alsa
1.0.16.  I wonder if anybody's found a workaround for them yet?
Thanks much,
Zack.