problem with speeechd-up packages on gentoo

John Covici covici at ccs.covici.com
Thu May 1 00:10:13 EDT 2008

Hi.  I am using gentoo and was trying to tell it that I was using my
own speakup -- because this speakup package insists on kernel 2.6.25
and I am not even sure speakup works with that kernel -- however I
wrote in /etc/portage/package.provided the following line
app-accessibility/speakup-3.0.2_p20080414
HOwever, portage still wants to energe speakup which does not work.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give on this one.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         covici at ccs.covici.com