Installing speakup on Ubuntu 7.10

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Wed Mar 12 11:10:10 EDT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Steve Holmes wrote:

> this locked to 2.6.24 kernels? I saw reference to 2.6.24 in the build
> script and if I recall, there was a 2.6.24 file in the mix.

It is only tied into 2.6.24 from a backward compatibility perspective.
That is to say that the new hooks in the kernel tree only showed up
with the advent of 2.6.24.  Maybe someday once everything is working
nicely again we'll extend the patching mechanism back before 2.6.24.
The pieces are all there but need some work to pull it off.  As for
the future who knows.  Things change in the kernel tree constantly so
predicting the future is never reliable.

> What is the difference between the tarball the makedist builds and
> just tarring up the speakup folder from git?

Don't know.  I've paid no attention to that script presently. so it
might not even work.

> Also, you mentioned that you can only select a single synth.  Does
> this mean you can only build one module per compilation or can you
> build all the modules you want? Does the restriction apply to static
> compilations?

The single synth requirement is no longer there.  You can build as
many synths as modules or built-in as you like.  The difference is
that if you are loading a synth as a module you will need to supply
the start=1 flag to modprobe to start the synth talking.  If you don't
the module and speakup will be loaded but they will not start
speaking.  The documentation has not been updated to reflect that yet
I don't believe.

If you build speakup into the kernel you will need to specify
speakup.synth=xxxx on the kernel command line to invoke speakup.  Of
course you can do this in lilo or grub to make it automatic.  The
default synth choice in the menuconfig system is currently not
connected to anything.

phone: (519) 661-3061