Installing speakup on Ubuntu 7.10

Darragh lists at digitaldarragh.com
Tue Mar 11 05:47:08 EDT 2008

Hello,

I've been  working on installing speakup on Ubuntu 7.10.

I got the kernel sources, patched it with speakup, did the usual make,
make modules_install and make install etc.
For some reason, the kernel compilation in Ubuntu differs from that in
OpenSuSE so I also had to create an initrd and add the grub entry using
grub-install.

When I boot I get a kernel panic.  I know I'm not being very specific
there however my question is:

Has any one manually installed speakup in to the Ubuntu 2.6.22.9 kernel?
Any suggestions or tips?

Tonight if I get time I'll download the 2.6.23 kernel from kernel.org.

Oh, while I'm at it, are the 2.6.24 or 2.6.25 kernels supported yet?

Thanks

Darragh
Blog at www.digitaldarragh.com