What window manager?

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 6 01:36:15 EST 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Tony Baechler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OK, I definitely have Gnome installed.  I looked at the pkg desc for gdm
> and still don't know why I'm supposed to remove it.  As soon as I tell

Well you don't have too. Its just easier to log into a console than an x
session from boot-up.
startx won't ask you for anything like gdm.
But ok whatever.

> aptitude to remove it, I get a bunch of errors about broken packages.  I
> ran tasksel several times to install the desktop task like you said and
> it just sat there at 0% even after waiting a long time.  I have a fast
> connection so I'm sure it wasn't downloading packages.  I'm now positive
> that I have all of Gnome installed.  I ran startx and it still just
> drops me on tty7 with no speech and no Orca.  I'm sure I have gdm
> removed even though it complained about gnome being broken.  It still
> wants to know what window manager to use and I don't think gnome itself

Well since I don't use grml I don't know.
Perhaps just apt-get remove gnome and start again?
I don't know though.
You can just try gdm if you like.
And log in.
Otherwise you can look and see what errors startx gives.
Oh and for tasksel as root I guess you type:
tasksel install desktop

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/