Enjoying Slackware 12 in VmWare

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:32:30 EST 2008

Hi,
    I need a USB to serial adapter on the Windows side of things, which I
plug into one of the laptop's USB ports.
    To VmWare, that appears as something like COM5.  I can create a virtual
serial port in the VM by editing its hardware configuration before starting
it, and telling it, in this case, to use COM5 and connect the virtual serial
port to the physical one.
    For power, I set the Dectalk USB to RS232 mode, and hook up its USB
cable to another uSB port on this laptop.  The thing normally has batteries,
but 9-volt ones are rare and anyway, this is alright and works.  Just start
the virtual machine and tell Speakup as usual to find a dectalk express on
what it thinks of as COM1, or speakup_ser=0
    Hope this helps.  This is how I get around the lack of serial ports on
this thing.
Best,
Zack.