What window manager?

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 5 04:46:07 EST 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Tony Baechler wrote:

> Daniel Dalton wrote:
>> Have you actually installed  gnome?
>>

> I think so.  It installed Orca just fine and it brought in a bunch of
> other dependencies.  It's basically Debian unstable.  It has a custom
> grml-x script for setting up X.  How do I know if I installed gnome or not?

Well if I was you I would probably remove gnome and use tasksel.
But look for some gnome drivers or something.
Maybe in /etc? Do you have a gnome directory there?

>> Does GRML have tasksel?
>>

> I don't know but it's based on Debian so I would say probably.  That
> still doesn't tell me what window manager to use when grml-x asks.

Well I don't know since I don't use grml or whatever, so I suggest you try
tasksel and then that way startx should just "work"

>> Then remove gdm...
>>

> What's gdm and why do I remove it?  I've heard of it before but never
> paid attention.  Is that for the mouse?

How about trying
www.google.com?
That will tell you.

Its just a log in setup though. And it won't talk.
So you kind of need to guess a bit there.
And sometimes it doesn't work properly and its hard to tell what is
happening.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/