Enjoying Slackware 12 in VmWare

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 02:02:15 EST 2008

Hiya,
    This is just a quick note to say I've been enjoying the way Slackware
12, Speakup, and VmWare coexist together on this predominantly Windows
system.  I very much prefer my DecTalk USB to anything software speech can
currently provide, and thanks to VmWare's serial port emulation I'm able to
enjoy it.  Qemu worked almost as well, the only downside being the fact the
alternate keymap for laptops didn't function.  I finally got irritated
enough at it that I switched to VmWare server, which so far has met my needs
very nicely.
    Slackware certainly isn't a distro for everyone, but I enjoy it.  Feels
very hands-on and traditional, which suits me just fine.  I hope they
continue to provide Speakup in later versions.
    My only regret is that I can't do this natively.  I haven't got anything
resembling a serial port on this machine, and anyhow Linuxen have been
problematic on here before.  It's ironic that Slackware--through
Zipspeak--was my first ever Linux distribution back in the day.  It's good
to be back.
Just felt I'd post my two cents.
All the best,
Zack.