experience with speakup git of today tusing 2.6.25-gentoo-r5

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Mon Jun 30 21:13:29 EDT 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, William Hubbs wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 06:52:59PM -0400, John covici wrote:
> > OK, so I tried the latest speakup git with kernel 2.6.25 gentoo
> > sources and the following happened:
> >
> > I  had speakout module built in and soft and dectalk express as
> > modules.  Now the first time I booted, I let it talk without pressing
> > any keys and it eventually hung somewhere, i.e. lost speech and the
> > system was dead or crashed.
>
> Are you sure it was dead or crashed, or did you just lose speech?  The
> reason I ask is you might have come across the  issue that happens when
> we time out too many times waiting for the synth to tell us it can
> receive more data -- after it times out so many times we  assume that
> someone has turned off the synth and put it in an unavailable status.

Is that rectified by repeatedly pressing review keys until the speech
suddenly returns?  (five or six quick hits of a read current character key
usually brings it back for me)
Or is what I experience a different issue?

I have never run into this with software speech, only with the DEC
Express, so I'm guessing it is the same issue.

Luke