Speakup Differential Pronounciation Of Strange Characters

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Tue Jun 24 17:59:02 EDT 2008

Hello

If anyone pulls up the ssh manual page, and looks for the third occurrence
of the word "character" (I.E.

man ssh
/character
nn

), you will see a line similar to this, at the top of your screen:

line.  The escape character followed by a dot (".") closes the

On my system, I assume for UTF-8 reasons, if I am reading the screen,
speakup reads the parenthesized quoted period as:

(O circumflex. O circumflex)

If I read through that character by character, I get:

left paren
cap gamma
null
null
dot
cap gamma
null
null
right paren

If I run "unicode_start" before looking at the page, the full screen
version is:

left paren. right paren

The character by character version is:

left paren
null
dot
null
right paren

I find every aspect of this to be strange.

I am no expert on terminal handling: does anyone have any thoughts on what
may be going on here?

First why the supposed quotation show up in this way at all, but secondly
why speakup is pronouncing these things as "o circumflex" when read as a
phrase, but pronouncing them as "cap gamma null null" when read
individually.  I assume that it is reading them as punctuation.

Luke