Weird Characters (was: a quick question)

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Fri Jun 20 21:49:18 EDT 2008

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Tyler Littlefield wrote:

> When I'm compiling, reading nampages, etc I see a lot of euros
> a-circumflex marks all over. Is there something wrong with my terminal?

I've got the same problem, although I see a lot of "white square", "Null"
marks, and other annoying things in place of some dashes, single quotes,
and other things.

I think it's a Unicode/UTF-8 or other character set issue, but have never
spent the time to sort it out.

This also happens if I use pdftotext or antiword or the like, to send data
into a text file--I have to go over to a FreeBSD system if I want
unmangled data.

Luke