Anyone know what is happening in Debian Lenny?

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Thu Jun 19 14:12:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 02:23:42PM -0400, luke wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Georgina Joyce wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 00:55 +0200, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:
> > > How many consoles can you have at the same time?
> >
> > I have 11 text terminals and 4 virtual desktops from console 7 within
> > Gnome at my disposal.
> >
> > This keyboard only has 12 function keys.
>
> The function keys do not limit your virtual consoles: I have only 12
> function keys, but a year or so ago I set my inittab to give me 24 virtual
> consoles.  The second set of 12 are only accessible via the alt-leftarrow
> , alt-rightarrow sequences, from the first and twelfth virtual consoles
> respectively.
>
> Afaik, you can have up to 256, although how exactly one would manage all
> of those is beyond me.
>
> Luke

Have you tried using the right alt key with your function keys to see
if these key combinations get you to tty13-tty25?  On my Slackware
system, left_alt+functionkey<n> lets me jump to virtual terminal <n>
and right_alt+functionkey<n> lets me jump to virtual terminal <n>+12
to get me to terminals 13-24.  Look up the man pages for chvt and
deallocvt for more terminal management.  The screen program can also
be useful at times--it sets up several 'screens' on a single virtual
terminal among other things.  See the man page for screen.  I believe
key combinations can be mapped to jump directly to even more terminals
if 24 are not enough.  I currently have 25 virtual terminals set up in
my inittab.

HTH, and have a great day.

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light...
COSEC (x) / SEC (x) = (COTAN (x) / TAN (x)) ^ 2