Bug - speakup_synth being ignored

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Tue Jun 17 04:52:21 EDT 2008

I see that this was discussed a little during the period April-May 2008
under threads not directly related to it, but no comment from any of the
core developers.

In short: speakup_synth does not seem to be able to set the default synth,
at least for the case where speakup and the synth are both compiled into
the kernel (I have not tried it in modular configurations).

My kernel is 2.6.18 for this trial, but I have tried it with 2.6.24.7 as
well, and several versions of speakup from git over the last week.

>From dmesg:

Kernel command line: root=/dev/md0 ro speakup_synth=dectlk quiet splash
[.]
speakup 3.0.3: initialized
synth name on entry is: <NULL>
initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 25)
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 2 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

(The latter is the location of my DEC Express)

Relevant portion of kernel config:

#
# Speakup console speech
#
CONFIG_SPEAKUP=y
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_ACNTSA is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_ACNTPC is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_APOLLO is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_AUDPTR is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_BNS is not set
CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_DECTLK=y
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_DECEXT is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_DECPC is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_DTLK is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_KEYPC is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_LTLK is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SPKOUT is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_TXPRT is not set
# CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_DUMMY is not set

The documentation still lists "speakup_synth" as a valid parameter, so I
must assume that this is a bug.

Regards,

Luke