text console tools for audio processing

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Mon Jun 16 18:08:55 EDT 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:

> Wedit uses 16 bit signed samples, one or two channels, in memory. So
> much of what you need to do is beyond the scope of wedit, I'm afraid. I
> have a system with a GB of memory and sometimes run into things I can't
> handle too. But most of my work is much less demanding than you
> indicated.

Got ya.  Still, I can see some uses for it in non-huge jobs.

> So, if wedit can't handle it, there's always the underlying standard
> apps to fall back on. But as you know, when sox works on a huge file
> you may as well take a nap until it finishes. If you can put your task
> in memory, it is instantaneous.

Indeed.  Sox won't always work on files that big (I forget its upper
limit, but it's somewhere around 2 gig), and I often have to pull files
off of DVD in pieces of about 2 hour length, just so sox can handle them.
A pita, that, but what'ya gonna do?

Yes, I have often had to put a long series of pull, edit with sox, flac
encode, rsync jobs in a nice big && sequence in bash, and then go to bed
for the evening, so that it could be finished in the morning, and then
worry about did I screw up one of the title numbers in all that?:)
Sudoing to root's bash, and running with a niceness of -18 can help to
speed things along from time to time, if I remember to do it.

Luke