Not speaking number before letter "bug"?

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Mon Jun 16 15:00:17 EDT 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Tony Baechler wrote:

> luke wrote:
> > Earlier today I wrote:
> >
> > "If it's on the right, replace the 1s with 2s."
> >
> > There is a digit one before the first "s" and a two before the second.
> > However, my current speakup reads this line as:
> >
> > "If it's on the right, replace the s with s."
> >
> > If I place the speakup cursor on the "1s" and hit "read word", I get "s".
> > If I hit read word twice (I.E. spell word), it will then say "1 s".
> >

> This is a DEC-Talk Express bug. Good luck fixing it, I've been trying for
> years.

The thing that is driving me crazy the most, is that I *did* fix this,
over a year ago.  For some reason which I will never understand, I didn't
promote the fix to my speakup initialization and configuration script,
where I do all of my other rate, pitch, character, etc. setup.

I so rarely reboot my home system, that it's been about that long since I
had to perform the fix, and the last time, about 8 months ago before last
week, I apparently still remembered how to do it.

I'm going to have to spend some time playing with this, and if I can get
it fixed again, I'll figure out a way to get it included in source for
the DEC Express driver or something.

Luke