text console tools for audio processing

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Mon Jun 16 05:11:42 EDT 2008

Hi,

For some time I have been putting together a package that simplifies
many common audio editing tasks, and I think it might be of interest to
some here. It is called wedit, and is a GPL package available on my web
site.

Wedit is partly a front-end to many common gnu/linux tools such as sox,
lame, mplayer, timidity, flac, and others. But it also includes many
intrinsic abilities for editing, smoothing, track and clip manipulation,
etc.

When installed, wedit can be run interactively, or can be invoked as a
non-interactive command line tool by one of its many aliases (symlinks,
actually) to convert an audio file from one format to another,
optionally doing other things while converting.

For example, to convert a wave file of any sampling rate, either mono
or stereo, to a burnable CDR format, you would do this:

wed2cdr filename.wav

to convert any type of wave file to mp3 using 22K samples with stereo,
do this:

wed2mp3 -22s filename.wav

To convert a midi file to Sun audio format (8K samples, 8 bit bytes,
u-law) do this:

wed2au filename.mid

etc., etc., etc.

Wedit has extensive online help and a man page, which are maybe 95%
accurate on a good day. There are of course a lot of features offered
by sox, lame, and mplayer which are not available to wedit users, but
the tradeoff here is simplicity of use over completeness of function.
If sox can do something that wedit won't let you do, well then, use
sox.

Help yourself. Money back guaranteed.

Chuck

PS: Oh es. Wedit can also generate certain simple tones for test
purposes, such as sine waves, square waves, and both kinds of sawtooth
waves, can emulate motion of a sound source, do fading, capture audio
from your sound card (for many sound cards), and lots of other fun
thngs, but only in its interactive mode. It might not do what you need
it to do, but it does so many thngs that you really should give it a
shot before giving up and regressing to windows.

- --
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (95% of Full)

My web site: http://hallenbeck.ftml.net and my cell phone: 1-518-334-9022.
                                --------
 "With us nothing has time to gather meaning, and too many things
are occurring for even a big heart to hold."
- --W. B. Yeats