Not speaking number before letter "bug"?

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Mon Jun 16 02:08:46 EDT 2008

I'm not sure, but if this qualifies as a bug, it is quite long standing
(speakup 1.5 at least).

Earlier today I wrote:

"If it's on the right, replace the 1s with 2s."

There is a digit one before the first "s" and a two before the second.
However, my current speakup reads this line as:

"If it's on the right, replace the s with s."

If I place the speakup cursor on the "1s" and hit "read word", I get "s".
If I hit read word twice (I.E. spell word), it will then say "1 s".

I fixed this in speakup 2 from CVS, but I have no recollection as to how I
did it (one of the /proc/speakup files).

I'm not sure if this is a speakup issue, or a DEC Express bug which is
playing into a speakup feature of some sort.

My question is: if this is not a bug, and is some kind of feature, what is
the idea?  Who would actually desire this behavior?

Regards,

Luke