git-clone problem

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Fri Jun 13 18:34:17 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 06:15:44PM -0400, luke wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Zachary Kline wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 01:47:48AM -0400, luke wrote:
> > > git-pull git://hubbs.homedns.org/speakup.git
> > > fatal: Not a git repository
> > > Failed to find a valid git directory.
> > This is because you're using git-pull.  Git-pull is for updating an
> > already-cloned repository.
>
> It *was* an already cloned repository.
>
> > You want instead:
> > git-clone git://hubbs.homedns.org/speakup.git.
>
> Even though I had already done that on Wednesday? I was trying to update
> my local copy of the repository.  My understanding was that this was the
> proper method, as you also seem to indicate above, although my knowledge
> of git is quite limited, and so it may be that you mean something else.
>
> So, on Wednesday I ran "git-clone git://hubbs.homedns.org/speakup.git":
> what do I do in order to cause my local version to pickup any changes, if
> git-pull is the wrong utility?
You want to cd into the directory created by that initial git-clone.
It's called speakup.
Then just do a git-pull, without any arguments.  The git repository to
use is already encoded in the directory and files in it, no need to do
anything else.  It'll update to the latest code.
Hope this helps,
Zack.