Tshark and like tools

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Jun 12 11:59:36 EDT 2008

Sean Murphy wrote:
> Has anyone written any tools to simplify the use of Tshark or any
> other network protocol analyzing text based tools under Linux?
>
> I am seeking tools to be able to trace TCP or UDP conversations.
> Determining the round trips of packets.  Finding out what protocols
> are being used by whom and where too.  Etc.

Hi,

You didn't mention what distro you're using, but I can say that there
are several Debian packages to do what you want.  You might want to look
at the grml live CD as it comes with many of them already installed and
running.  I don't have a list of the packages but I ended up removing
several dozen.  You could look at http://grml.org/ and see if the list
of packages is online and go from there.  My mind is going blank as to
the names of some of them.  One is nessusd or similar but it is non-fre
I think.  You could also look at the "harden" Debian package and
specifically its dependencies.  That might also give some ideas.  You
could browse through the "Net" section as well.  If your distro has a
package search ability, you could search for network security or
similar.  There are many programs out there to do what you want.
Obviously, Google is your friend here.