Question About Security Software for Ubuntu

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Jun 12 06:18:17 EDT 2008

Georgina Joyce wrote:
>> I was just wondering if there are any good virus and
>> spyware protection programs available for Ubuntu?
>>

> As it is said on this forum, such problems are aimed at Windows users.
> Security is a big plust for using linux.  Of course antivirus software
> producers will take your money.  But I don't know of any that will be
> accessible.

Hi,

What about ClamAv?  It is command line based so should be totally
accessible and is well supported.  There used to also be F-Prot but I
don't know if it's still supported.  It is non-free but worked well
enough.  I've never heard of any spyware for Linux but I suppose it
could be out there somewhere.  As long as you stick with Debian and
Ubuntu packages, I wouldn't think this would be an issue.  Obviously the
original poster needs to read more about Linux first.