Need help converting ReiserFs to HFS or Fat32

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Jun 10 08:56:18 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 19:45 +0800, Kerry Hoath wrote:
> Your only option is a full backup and restore of the file system; with a
> reformat step in the middle.
As I remember there is possibly another way, admittedly I am not sure
how good it is and you would need to make your own decission on if it is
worth it, and that was a tool called something like convertfs. As I
understood how it worked, it resized the partition to a smaller size
(you obviously can't do this with an absolutely full partition) then it
created a new partition in the free space, copied some data across,
resized the start partition again, enlarge the destination partition,
copy some more data, and so on until the second partition fills the
drive and the start one has gone. Other than that limitation of needing
enough free space to move the largest file, I have heard some reports of
people claiming that it has corrupted data, I don't know myself as I
never actually used it to find out. Of course you should have your data
backed up in case anyway, but if you have that backup, then it might be
simpler and quicker to remove the reiserfs partition and format it in
whatever format you want and restore the data from the backup.