Braille Keyboard Program

Georgina Joyce gena at mga.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 13:36:10 EDT 2008

Hi All

Just for the archives, I thought I'd forward the information that Samuel
and Nick have emailed me personally, thanks guys:

There is: brlkey, on
http://coscell.molerat.net/brlkey-1.9.5.tar.bz2

Samuel

The first one is a version of DBT 10.5 with the translation stuff
removed
but you can use it to emulate typing in braille with your keyboard.
There is also a mac version but I'm not sure if it would run on the
current
macs or not.
http://www.duxburysystems.com/product2.asp?product=Perky
Duck&level=free&action=pur
the second looks as if it is still beeing maintained and updated and it
will
run in boath windows and dos.
It will even run in windows Vista if you happen to be a masochist like
most
Vista users.
Because it will run under dos it might be possible to run it in dosemu
or
something like it.
http://www.braille-pokadot.com/
that site also has info about some keyboards that support typing up to
6
keys at once which is needed for braille keyboard emulation on a
computer
keyboard.
I also have heard of one hardware device which would work in gnu/linux
but
I'm not sure if it is still beeing made or sold.
it was a braille keyboard that could plug in to the PS2 port on your
computer and it was sold by sighted electronics.
http://www.sighted.com/english/braillein.html
If you happen to find a package in gnu/linux that can emulate typing on
braille keyboard I'd love to hear about it as I'm quite intrested in
braille
keyboard emulation.

--
Gena