IBMTTS on slackware

Nick Stockton nstockton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 18:01:24 EDT 2008

I know it's doable because I helped a friend set up their copy of ttsynth on
their slackware box a while back.
I forget if it was slackware version 11 or 12 but I think the process would
be the same for eather one.
I've not ever seen any instructions on the speakup list on how to do it so
I'll write down what I did here.
Lucky for you I saved the commands I enterd to a text file so I'd know how
it was done although I'm using voxin which I got for $5 and am running it
under debian.
Note: this is for ttsynth under slackware. Voxin would be quite alot harder
to get working under slackware so you better get ttsynth.
I've also prepended the commands with '$ ' in case my email client tries to
wrap commands to the next line. So you'll be able to see where each line
begins.
You will need to run all the commands as root. You also need to have alien
installed.
If you don't want to find, download, compile and install alien and all the
dependencies from source to your copy of slackware then you might want to
download GRML and use it only to run the alien commands.
--------------------
$ wget
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-2.95/libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386.deb
$ alien -t -c -k libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386.deb
$ installpkg libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2-2.95.4.tgz
$ ldconfig
$ alien -t -c -k ttsynthcore-1.0-i386.deb
$ installpkg ttsynthcore-1.0.tgz
$ ln -s /opt/IBM/ibmtts/lib/enu50.so /usr/lib/enu50.so
$ ln -s /opt/IBM/ibmtts/lib/enumfilt.so /usr/lib/enumfilt.so
$ ln -s /opt/IBM/ibmtts/lib/ssmlfilter.so /usr/lib/ssmlfilter.so
$ cp /opt/IBM/ibmtts/inc/* /usr/include/
$ ldconfig
[...]
download GRML and use it to run the alien commands.
--------------------
$ wget
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-2.95/libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386.deb
$ alien -t -c -k libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-27_i386.deb
$ installpkg libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2-2.95.4.tgz
$ ldconfig
$ alien -t -c -k ttsynthcore-1.0-i386.deb
$ installpkg ttsynthcore-1.0.tgz
$ ln -s /opt/IBM/ibmtts/lib/enu50.so /usr/lib/enu50.so
$ ln -s /opt/IBM/ibmtts/lib/enumfilt.so /usr/lib/enumfilt.so
$ ln -s /opt/IBM/ibmtts/lib/ssmlfilter.so /usr/lib/ssmlfilter.so
$ cp /opt/IBM/ibmtts/inc/* /usr/include/
$ ldconfig
$ mknod /dev/softsynth c 10 26
Hope this helps.