intro and questions

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jul 28 19:20:56 EDT 2008

Georgina Joyce writes:
> > 1. When using the speakup connector, for ttsynth, I just coppy the make
> > file into /usr/local/bin/
> > then creat an alias to start speak up.

No, no.
a. Take the .gz file you downloaded and uncompress it. This will create
a directory.
b. cd to that directory and type 'make' and press enter.
c. If all goes well, this creates a binary called spk-connect-ttsynth.
Copy or mv that file to /usr/local/bin. This is what you type to start
the connector talking.
d. But that's probably more than you want to type every time you start
speech. That's the reason to create a symbolic link to this file. So
that you can have something short to type to start speech.

Note that the connector can only be built on a 32-bit system at this
time.
> > 2. When I edit the file grub.conf
It's /boot/grub/grub.conf

> No, in an editor you open /boot/grub/menu.lst with root privillages.

Well, Fedora provides menu.lst as a symbolic link to grub.conf. So,
consider this an example of the symbolic link in 1d above.

> You'll see a line that starts title, then possibly root then one
> starting with kernel.  Something like this:

Here's an actual Fedora kernel statement. Note there's a horribly long
UID designator for the root argument.

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.11-97.spk.fc9.x86_64 ro
root=UUID=800328ee-c064-4bfb-ad96-d4086c8cc44e vga=0xF07
speakup.synth=soft speakup.quiet=1

> I know that there's been some changes but I thought that the software
> synth was:
>
> speakup.synth=sftsyn

Not any longer. It's now called 'soft' . See the above kernel statement
from grub.conf.

Janina